What causes chapped lips?
Everyday causes of chapped lips
Everybody suffers from sore, chapped lips sometimes – they’re very common and people often down realise how they can prevent chapped lips based on lifestyle changes.
Leading a busy and sometimes stressful life is normal today, but too much stress can take its toll on your lips, the skin on your lips is very thin, sensitive and vulnerable to drying out. Not giving yourself time to relax or get the right minerals and vitamins from a complete and healthy diet can exacerbate dry lips. Coupled with lack of sleep, this can have an even greater effect on your lips’ health, because your lips regenerate as you sleep - using a lip balm can help lock in this moisture even during hard cold weather.Another factor that often causes chapped lips is dehydration. They do say that what you put into your body is what will define how it looks on the outside. Experts recommend drinking about two litres of water per day (or eight glasses), which will keep cells hydrated and lips looking smooth. It’s good to keep applying protection externally too by using a NIVEA Original Lip Balm to soothe and provide long-lasting protection against dryness.
Your lips are sensitive to the cold
The best ways of preventing chapped lips
Lip care –keeping lips smooth and healthy
Take care when you do your face routine
The do’s and don’ts for preventing chapped lips
- Do stay hydrated
- Do try and breath through your nose and not your mouth
- Do use a humidifier to keep moisture levels up in the room
- Do not lick your lips excessively
- Do not go outside on a cold day without using a good lip balm
- Do not forget to use a lip product with SPF to protect against the sun
How do I know what product is best for my chapped lips?
There are a range of products on the market to help repair and nourish chapped lipsdrierand it’s important to find the one that’s right for you.Lip crayon like NIVEA Poppy Crayon Red gives your lips colour and helps keep dry lips at bay, making them great for feeling good. If you’re looking for a lighter texture, a lip balm like NIVEA Hydro Care absorbs more quickly, but still provides long-lasting protection and will leave your lips feeling wonderfully soft. If having a hint of colour is more your thing, a fruity Shine formula with a beautiful shiny finish could be just what you’re looking for.
Stop licking your lips
5 quick tips for dry lips
- Never pick at flaky skin on your lips
- Skip the matte lip sticks and choose more moisturising products
- When it comes to food, reduce citrus fruits, spicy food and too much salt
- Try wearing a scarf around your mouth when it’s very cold
- Always remove lipstick before going to sleep