Sit back and relax with a homemade face mask
How to make the most of a homemade face mask
Homemade face masks can be applied in the shower before heading to work or in the evening as you put your feet up to some soothing music. Studies have shown that certain natural ingredients can be very beneficial for specific skin types, and face masks and are one of the easiest ways to achieve a bright, glowing complexion. Find out more about the benefits of face masks for different skin types here.
Tips & tricks for applying homemade face masks
- Thoroughly cleanse your skin with warm water before getting started
- Using a warm flannel on your face can help to open the pores
- Try using a soft-bristle brush to apply your mask to the skin
- Don’t forget to apply to your neck too!
- Cucumber slices placed over the eyes can help you to relax
- If you fancy a more cooling mask, place it in the fridge for about an hour before application
DIY face mask recipes
How to make a sweet-scented honey face mask
Honey may taste fantastic when it’s spread on your toast, but it feels even better spread on your face! Alongside offering powerful hydration, this sweet nectar is also a great blemish prone skin treatment thanks to its antibacterial properties.
To make a honey-flavoured skin treat that is perfect for skin prone to breakouts, simply mix one tablespoon of honey with one teaspoon of cinnamon and one teaspoon of nutmeg. If your skin is red and inflamed, a honey and charcoal mask might be just what you need. Activated charcoal is known for its ability to absorb dirtand harmful substances. Simply mix one tablespoon of raw honey with one tablespoon of activated charcoal powder and apply to the face. You can learn more about the power of charcoal for skin care here.
How to make an oatmeal face mask
Sensitive skin can often really benefit from the anti-inflammatory properties of oats, and they can even be a natural soother after tanning. Try this versatile DIY face mask with oatmeal for a rejuvenated complexion:
1. Grind your oatmeal: Blend four tablespoons of rolled oats in your food processor until they are in powder form.
2. Add honey: Add one tablespoon of honey to the oats and mix it through.
3. Add one egg yolk: Egg yolks are a fantastic source of Vitamin D, which helps to achieve fresh, younger looking complexion. First discard the egg white, before adding the yolk into the face mask mixture. Break the yolk and mix it in with the other ingredients to form a paste.
4. Apply to the face: Now simply apply the homemade mask to your face, avoiding the delicate eye area, and leave it for up to 15 minutes, before washing off.
A nourishing avocado face mask
Avocado is one of the most moisturising and revitalising natural face mask ingredients. Packed with skin-friendly nutrients including potassium, iron and a whole host of other vitamins, it’s the ideal ingredient for a home pampering session.For an ultra-hydrating mask take the flesh of half an avocado and mash it until you have a creamy consistency. Add one teaspoon of olive oil and make sure the mixture is well blended before applying to the face. Both avocado and olive oil contain healthy fats, which will seal in moisture and slow down signs of aging. When applied on a regular basis, you will be able to say goodbye to rough, dehydrated skin.