What causes Wrinkles and Dark Circles under Eyes?
6 Possible Reasons for Dark Circles Under Eyes
- A lack of sleep.
- Excessively rubbing your eyes (common among allergy sufferers).
- A poor diet.
- Your genetic make-up.
- Sleeping on your stomach.
- Prescribed medication that can cause blood vessels to dilate.
Why do Wrinkles Form Around Our Eyes?
The skin around the eyes stays firm and supple when we’re younger due to the production of collagen and elastin. However, as we get older these aren’t produced as quickly, which stops the skin from bouncing back. What’s more, the skin thinning under the eyes happens naturally over time, causing it to lose its resilience, and under-eye wrinkles to form.
This is made worse by the fact that there are no glands around the eyes that produce oil to keep the area hydrated. Luckily, the eye area can be kept smooth and hydrated by using an effective anti-wrinkle eye cream like NIVEA Vital Soja Anti-Age Eye Care. This moisturising product noticeably firms the skin around the eyes, reduces puffiness and dark circles.
How to Minimise the Appearance of Eye Wrinkles and Dark Circles
5 Tips for the Best Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream Skincare Routine
No more smoking
Stick to a healthy diet
Don’t spend too long in the sun
Get enough sleep
Gentle and caring cleansing
Use a makeup remover that is extra gentle on the skin like NIVEA Extra Gentle Eye Make-Up Remover. This removes even waterproof mascara whilst caring for the sensitive eye area.
If you prefer face wipes, try the NIVEA 3-in-1 Cleansing Micellar Wipes, which combine the cleansing power of micellar water with the convenience of a wipe. They are non-woven so have a smooth texture for protecting the delicate eye area, and no rubbing or scrubbing is required to remove even waterproof mascara.
Always be as gentle as you can with your makeup removal technique - don’t pull or tug on the skin. NIVEA cleansing products are gentle and effective to not require rubbing consistently to remove even the hardest make-up.
An Anti-Aging Eye Serum or Cream is Essential
Quick tips for taking great care of the delicate eye area
- Wear sunglasses to avoid squinting when you’re outside – this can cause wrinkles to form under eyes.
- Sleep on your back – sleeping on your stomach or side can put pressure on your face and help encourage wrinkles.
- Resist the urge to rub your eyes throughout the day, even if you are tired.
- Avoid pulling your eyelid taut when you apply eyeliner.
- Get regular eye tests to avoid squinting unnecessarily