Horny skin: the protective layer for the feet
With regular pressure – a result of shoes that are too narrow, high heels or thin soles – small inflammations are caused in the hypodermis.
These signal to the body that protection for the sensitive lower cell layers must be built up.
To prevent further injuries, the skin thickens locally in the damaged area and the horny layer is formed.
Good to know: what are feet made up of?
- The structure of our feet consists of 28 bones, 107 ligaments and 19 muscles. This means that our feet contain 25% of the bones in our bodies.
- The skin on our feet is very firm. Also, our feet have hardly any subcutaneous tissue.
- The horny layer itself cannot protect itself and can therefore dry out and tear very easily.
- With excessive and constant pressure, more horny skin may be formed, along with calluses and tears in the heel, also known as rhagades. NIVEA products contain a soothing formula with panthenol and bisabolol which supports the skin’s natural regeneration and makes it soft and smooth again.
- But even with only the horny layer, the skin on your feet should be kept smooth and robust, and this is where daily foot care is important.
A home pedicure: for silky soft feet
How to look after your feet
Beautiful feet with the right nail care
- Cutting your nails is also a part of pedicures.
- It’s best to use nail clippers for this – then your nails won’t split.
- Cut the nails straight and along the top so that they don’t tear or grow inwards.
- The shape of the nails should follow the natural shape of the toe.
- To finish off, smooth the edges with a crystal nail file. These are particularly gentle on brittle nails.
- Now rub in some oil or foot cream into the cuticle and nails – and you’ve finished your home pedicure.
- Our tip: Treat very dry feet to an intensive foot cream mask: In the evening, simply apply a thick layer of intensive-acting foot cream, such as Hansaplast regenerating foot cream with 10% urea, pull on a pair of cotton socks, let it absorb overnight – and look forward to having beautifully soft feet the next morning!