Care for very dry skin
How does very dry skin occur?
This is often due to the sebaceous glands, as it is their job to provide the skin with oils and thus protect it from drying out. If there are only a few sebaceous glands, or if they aren't working properly, the skin will dry out quickly. This can be a leading contributor to extreme dry skin.
Very dry skin will therefore often occur in areas with not many sebaceous glands and not much subcutaneous tissue. This is particularly true of areas such as the elbows, knees or shins.
Whilst the sebaceous glands produce plenty of sebum during puberty, sebum production decreases as you get older. The skin needs increased and richer care, in a bid to prevent really dry skin before it occurs.
External factors can also cause very dry skin to develop. This includes cold, heat, sunlight, excessive contact with water, a poor diet or a lack of moisture.
Many people suffer from very dry skin especially during the winter months, as the cold deprives the skin of moisture. On top of that, the sebaceous glands produce less sebum in winter. This drying out is then worsened by dry air from heating systems.
You should therefore give your skin plenty of attention during the winter months and pamper dry and very dry skin with a moisture care cream. Find out more about the reasons for dry skin here.
Caring properly for dry hands
Rich care for very dry skin
Simple and effective care tips for very dry skin everyday
- Don't shower or bathe for too long in water that is too hot - 32 degrees is a sufficient water temperature.
- Cleanse your skin in the shower with care products developed for very dry skin, such as NIVEA Creme Sensitive Shower Cream.
- Moisturise on a daily basis with the best moisturiser for very dry skin. Rub in plenty of cream on extremely dry skin areas such as the elbows, knees and shins, and let the body lotion absorb before getting dressed.
- Always rub cream into your hands after you wash them. Hand creams with macadamia oil are absorbed quickly and provide extreme dry skin with intensive care.
- Set up air humidifiers during the winter months. The air humidity in internal rooms should ideally be between 50 and 70 percent.
Well-being for very dry skin
Introduce new rituals to your daily care routine:
Rub in a rich body lotion such as NIVEA Pure & Natural Body Lotion or NIVEA Nourishing Body Lotion before going to sleep. The skin regenerates extra quickly whilst you are sleeping. This allows the care cream to take full effect.
Care for areas of extreme dry skin, particularly the hands, elbows or knees, several times a day with a cream applied, developed especially for very dry skin.
Find out how to regenerate your skin at night.