Reliable protection and care
Children’s Skin – Extra Sensitive and In Need of Protection
Even children of three and over need sun protection, sunburn during childhood is a leading cause of skin cancer in adulthood.
The Best Sun Protection for Children
The best protection from sunlight is in the shade whether you're a child or an adult. Babies should never spend time in the blazing sun during their first 12 months. Dermatologists recommend that babies and toddlers up to three years old to long-term, direct sunlight. Find out more about sun protection for babies here.
However, keeping kids out of the sun isn't always possible, protecting them from harmful UV radiation with suitable clothing and a high SPF sun lotion or sunscreen for kids is your next best choice. Thickly woven fabrics are the best for protecting your child's skin, special pieces of clothing such as shorts, trousers, t-shirts and swimwear designed with UV protection in mind are also available. Light and easily dried they're perfect for holidays, outdoor activities and provide great sun protection for kids, even toddlers and babies.
When it comes to children's sunscreen, you should use at least SPF 30 sun lotion - or better yet 50+ - on children, such as Nivea Kid's Coloured Sun Spray with SPF 50+. It's also recommended that sun lotion for the little kids be waterproof, so they can still splash about in the sea or pool and be adequately protected from the UV rays. Nivea Kids Swim & Play Sun Lotion is the perfect waterproof sun protection for your child.
Essential Children's Clothing for Sunny Days
What children should wear in the sun:
- A head covering which provides sun protection for your child's head and also their neck, ears and face.
- Comfy and airy baggy shirts and trousers are good for the hot weather. UV clothing, which offers special protection from UV radiation due to its impregnation and special weaving technique is recommended. The UV protection factor of this clothing should be at least 30 to protect your little one's skin.
- UV shirts are also great for days spent near water, protecting your back, shoulders and chest the way children's sun spray would.
- Sandals that cover the tops of your baby, toddler or child's feet and heels is important too. The top of the foot is exposed to lots of sunlight and is one of the body parts that need the most protection.
- A pair of sunglasses with UV protection.
WHICH SUNSCREEN, LOTION OR SPRAY IS RIGHT FOR KIDS?
Sun Protection for Children
Applying a suitable sunscreen is important to protect skin that can't be covered sufficiently by clothing.
Children's skin can only protect itself for a few minutes so applying sunscreen for kids (preferably SPF 50+) before they venture out into the summer weather is crucial. Use sun cream designed for children's sensitive skin and defend against UVA and UVB radiation. Waterproof sunscreen for kids should be applied if they're going swimming and don't forget to reapply once they've dried off!
Midday - Siestas or Shade
Children also need the right clothing and kids sunscreen in the shade too. During a beach holiday, take advantage of the early morning and late afternoon for splashing, swimming and digging - it's better for your health and nicer!