Signs of dry skin include:
- Scaly skin
- White flakes
Characteristics of dehydrated skin include:
- Redness, itchiness and irritation: one major sign is increased sensitivity. Your skin’s hydrating barrier isn’t just the secret to a glowing complexion, with no moisture barrier the skin has trouble protecting itself against external stressors, such as bacteria and pollution, which in turn can strip the skin of water.
- Dullness: dehydration can sap your skin of its cell renewal powers - without adequate hydration, it can’t shed its outer layer, meaning old cells sit lacklusterly on top. This can lead to clogged pores, congestion and a dull complexion.
- Under-eye circles and sunken eyes: a sign that you, and not just your skin, are dehydrated.
- ‘Shadows’ around the face (especially under the eyes and around your nose)
- Fine lines and wrinkles: these are natural signs of ageing but thirsty skin can accelerate the appearance of fine lines. Wrinkles on dehydrated skin will show up as a network of tiny, fine lines.