- Start by using a retinol product two to three times a week before working up to nightly
- Use no-more than a pea-sized amount
- Apply a moisturiser to your skin after you apply retinol product at night
- Use a hydrating serum before you apply a product containing retinol
- Apply only at night and use suncream in the day as retinoids can make skin more sensitive to sun
- Avoid using acids before or after a retinol product as this can irritate the skin
- If your skin is particularly sensitive to retinol, some experts recommend applying a light moisturiser before your retinol to cushion the skin
- Don’t introduce retinol products to your routine if you have a big event, such as a wedding or holiday coming up to give your skin time to adjust to it
Retinol comes in several concentrations and you don’t need to opt for full strength to reap the anti-ageing benefits - studies have shown low-strength retinol continues to give as good a result as stronger concentrations, so you don’t need to continually scale up.
As a hydrating alternative to retinol with all the same anti-ageing benefits, NIVEA Bakuchiol range’s formula boosts collagen and strengthens skin. Regular use can transform skin, smoothing the appearance of wrinkles and brightening the complexion.
Our NIVEA Pure Bakuchiol range
offers a daytime alternative to retinol that works - plumping and smoothing and hydrating and the skin - as you are, and includes an SPF30. Bakuchiol stimulates the cell activity of skin cells and helps to refresh on sluggish skin.